Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Sun had the audacity to shine in Paris today!  I went after morning bread, made an omelet and was on my way.  When the noise gets a bit much, a walk along the Seine is perfect , especially after cloudy days of rain and thunder showers. Along the river are  boats converted to bistros, canal boats for commerce and the converted canal boat that is more of a floating home.  Clearly most working canal boats are also homes, but there is a generation of retired and semi-retired canal captains.  They have their deck chairs out, flowers, herbs and the occasional tomato plant.  Since the rain has been  with Paris for the last few months, everything is green and the usual noxious aromas of the ribald crowd has been blasted away from the docks.  The cobblestones and brick are brighter than ever. 
Taking advantage of the weather I headed to the Algerian  outdoor market a few blocks West of the Bastille and hunted for a resupply of Serrano chiles, lettuce, and bananas. Lettuce was easy and a spot-on good price. The rest too pricey for my tight budget shopping. My Arab is limited to a few choice words but I made the deal and off back to the place for lunch. 

The Rant.
Met a guy, an American Governmental consultant. Talking away he mentions he is working on the money issues in the European Union, and he is in France because he says "that's where a New World Order economy is being worked out". Why France? "Because" he says, " France and Germany  " basically  are  the EU show. Could have knocked me over with a feather.   It took me a while to shake the shock off.

The  toast we  gave back in the day and,  good for now as well.
 "Here's to our  Defenders and the battles they have won, Here's to the flag may it's colors never run, May the wings of Freedom never lose a feather"


.

3 comments:

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

capananda:

Sorry about the rain. My wife and I were in Paris in July of 1979 and consider that city to be one of the most interesting and picturesque in the world. That freshly-baked bread each morning is worth going for.

Interesting post.

Sarge said...

Here is Indiana we are just seeing the first farmers markets open on weekends. A great find is the Amish horseradish. This will rip your nose off. Later in the year I by the canned 9in glass jars) pickles and green tomatoes...

I envy you in Paris. Madonna compared Evansville to Praque.
Shit, Praque must be a bleak motherfucker...
Evansville isn't Praque by any means but it is for the large part mundane.
Now, we do a Fall Festival that is only second in attendance to Madi Grais in New Orleans...


Bests,

Sarge
Evansville, In

Jo ~ said...

hey Cap, I came.. I missed you, and I still miss you, are you in Oregon or SD?